How long will the swelling and bruising last?
After any invasive surgical procedure, you will experience swelling as the area operated is exposed to tissue trauma. Most of the bruising and swelling after your rhinoplasty will subside within the first week. Right after the splint is removed, your nose will appear extremely swollen. You may think your nose looks worse at this point, however, the swelling actually increases before it subsides. 90% of swelling is reduced with in the first 6-8 weeks and the remaining 10% can take up to two years to fully subside.
How long does it take to recover?
Patients are expected to stay home for at least one-week post-surgery. After the surgical procedure has completed, we will pack your nose to reduce oozing and/or bleeding. You will have a moustache looking dressing over the upper lip below the nostrils to collect any nasal drainage. You can take off the dressing two days after surgery.
You will be required to wear internal splints to support the newly corrected cartilage and bone. After 5 days the splints are removed. We will have moulded a cast around the bridge of the nose to aid in healing and to secure the nose to support the new bone structure. This cast will also stay on for 5 days and is removed along with the splints at your five day post-surgery follow up appointment.
It is recommended that you do not resume any physical activity for at least two weeks, however in some cases patients need to wait one month to recommence their normal routine.